Monday, May 28, 2012

The Hunger Games



Collins, S. (2008). The Hunger Games. New York: Scholastic.

"I was so obsessed with this book..... The Hunger Games is amazing." - Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight saga

"Brillantly plotted and perfectly paced."- John Green, The New York Times Book Review


It has been a long time since I enjoyed a book as much as The Hunger Games. I just could not put this one down so I devoured all 374 pages in one day. Modern Fantasy is not my favorite genre so I was thrilled that I enjoyed this book much more than I had first anticipated. I plan on reading Catching Fire  just as soon as I can get my hands on it. Suzanne Collins wrote The Hunger Games in cycle format which is common to the Modern Fantasy genre. I became attached to Katniss the main character in the story so I can not wait to find out what challenges she faces in the next book.  The third book in the series is Mockingjay. I am sure I will read that one also.

The novel is centered around an annual televised event where the ruthless Capitol randomly selects one boy and one girl, each between the ages of 12 and 18 from each of the twelve districts pitting them against each other in a game of survival where they are forced to fight one another to the death. The winner is awarded a new house for themselves and their families in their District, along with food, fame, and wealth.  As great as the rewards are it is dealing with the evil deeds one had to accomplish to become the winner that make this story the perfect tale of self vs. self. Katniss struggles throughout the story with moral choices. Will she make the choice that keeps her alive or the choice that keeps her  from hating herself?

The Hunger Games is a quest story. The quest is survival to be the last contestant alive at the end of the event. The monomyth that Katniss experiences throughout the story is quite a wild ride of self discovery. She begins as a young girl hunting in the woods to help her family survive after her father's death. Katniss answers the call to adventure only to protect her younger sister but the adventure she experiences will change her forever.  Katniss endures trickery, hatred, love and physical exhaustion as she evolves from hunting dinner to hunting her fellow man.       

The first person narrative style of the story allows the reader to experience the pain and triumphs personally as Katniss struggles to save herself and her family.   Katniss does not see herself as a likeable person but it is easy for the reader to fall in love with this young girl on a mission of soul searching and survival. The kindness she shows to others is returned to her throughout the story. I like how this book adds to my personal belief that no good deed is left unrepaid.  Katniss even though amidst a desperate battle for her own life finds ways to help others. Her choices to become an angel to others allow her to remain a strong contender throughout The Hunger Games.  The surprise ending had me begging for more.      

Big questions:

Have you ever put the needs of someone else before your own needs?

Would you still do something even though it was dangerous if it meant helping another person?     

Tell me about a time you were terrified to do something but felt so much stronger after you accomplished the task.  

Has there ever been a time that you felt very lonely but you were not alone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment